Chicken and Dumplings
Picture looks just like this recipe but is complements of http://www.awesomebites.com
This is a family favorite and is terrific for any family gathering; don’t expect any leftovers. The Bisquick Dumpling are excellent with the seasonings.
For the Chicken:
- 1 3 ½ lb broiler/fryer, skinned and cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3 13 oz can chicken broth (can be made from dry chicken consume)
- 1 10 oz bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 10 oz bag frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions (fresh chopped onions can be substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Parsley (optional)
- Pinch of Salt, or two (optional)
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Brown chicken in oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet or soup pot, 5 minutes
Add broth, frozen vegetables, celery, thyme & bay leaves to chicken in soup pot and bring to a simmer for 1 hour.
Chefs note: The broth needs to totally cover the ingredients in the pot so it is often necessary to add more chicken broth. Chicken broth is easily make from dry consume; add just what is necessary to float the dumplings.
While chicken is simmering make the dumpling dough: mix ingredients in a bowl until blended and cover with damp paper towel until time to spoon onto the simmering soup.
After 1 hour of simmering, check seasonings; add salt if needed.
Drop tablespoons of the dumpling dough into the simmering soup. Allow dumplings to cook uncovered for 10 minutes then cover and cook another 10 minutes until dumplings are done.
Spoon soup and dumplings into bowls.