Thursday, August 16, 2012

Best Fried Rice
Picture by Kiara Hobson (My daughter)
 
I'm a huge fan of fried rice; I like it tasty and light made in a WOK. I found this recipe on line and tossed away the one I used for years. I want to share it here and give credit to the guy who invented it, Bravo Zulu to David J. Stewart.

I suggest using a quality electric WOK with a setting as high as 14. You need the heat and is a great convenience for cooking many things. My wife Norma has made great fried steaks and excellent breakfast pancakes.

Ingredients:  
 
·         2 cups cooked white rice that has been allowed to cool (I used Jasmine)
·         2 Tbsp peanut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
·         1 egg
·         2 cloves diced fresh garlic
·         1/4 teaspoon dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
·         1/2 yellow or white onion, diced fine
·         1-2 scallions, diced
·         1 tsp of brown sugar
·         3/4 tsp salt (measure with the 1/2 tsp spoon and then use the 1/4 tsp for the rest; thus equaling 3/4 tsp total)
·         1 dash of white pepper (a dash is 1/8 tsp)
·         1/4 c cooked ham, diced (you can use any type of savory meat such as, Chinese BBQ Pork, Sausage, & Shrimp). I like & used Spam.
·         1/4 cup cooked carrots and peas (I followed Davids suggestion and just added a handful of frozen mixed vegetables to the wok.
·         1/2 tsp of Accent (optional)

Preparation:

In a wok, heat peanut oil over high-heat until just before smoking (oil will shimmer). For fried rice I set the heat knob to 12 (14 is the hottest).

Add onions and garlic and sauté. Once onions appear transparent (cooked), break the egg right into wok and gently scramble with spatula (it doesn't have to be scrambled much).

Dump cold, dry, white rice into wok and break apart clumps. Stir-fry mixture for several minutes until you see a nice browning on the rice surface. Wait and turn it about every 30 seconds to give the rice time to brown.

Add the meat, green onions, brown sugar, white pepper, Chinese rice wine (or sherry), mixed vegetables, MSG, and salt to wok. Cook until heated and well-mixed (about 2 minutes).

Let me know what you think if you try it and I welcome any other comments regarding the rest of the Web site content.

No comments:

Post a Comment