Saturday, August 18, 2012

Chicken Adobo
Picture compliments of Panlasang Pinoy website, visit link:
 
I've had this style of chicken in several places along the Pacific rim as well as Hawaii and Mainland USA.. When I find a food I like chowing down on, I add it to my repertoire and master the cooking of it so I can have it whenever I want. This version of Adobo Chicken taste better than any I can remember having eaten at any restaurant and is a super hunger satisfier.

I found this adobo Chicken recipe on Nancy's Kitchen website, visit link: http://www.nancyskitchen.com/2009August/one-pot-chicken-adobo.html
 
Because it was favored by the 5th Hawaiian governor, Governor Ben Cayetano and he used a lot of crushed pepper like I like, I gave it a try and it was fantastic; a for-reals keeper.

I buy the small packets of whole peppercorns, they equal almost a 1/2 cup and I course grind them myself using a lava style pestle & mortar. 

You will need a large deep non aluminum pan with a cover for cooking this one

Ingredients for 4 to 6:
  • 3 pounds chicken thighs, cut each thigh in half through the bone. Other cuts of chicken also work well.
Adobo sauce
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup peppercorns, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 5 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 3 bay leaves
Preparation:

Combine all adobo sauce ingredients in a bowl. Cut each chicken thigh in half through the bone. Place cut chicken pieces in a large pan and pour adobo sauce evenly over chicken . Cover, and allow to marinate in refrigerator one to three hours. Turn chicken in sauce half way through marinating time for even marinating.

Place covered pan on stove and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover the pan and allow to simmer for an additional 15 minutes turning the chicken pieces in the sauce until lightly browned. Serve over or alongside a good helping of good white sticky rice like Basmati, Jasmine, or Calrose.

I see some online sources mention (see note below), they like to make this in a crock pot. I have not done it yet but sounds like something I will like to try.

Note: For Crock pot: Combine all in Crock pot, cook on high 1 hour, then on low 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment